Describe a conversation topic you were not interested in
- Who you talked with
- When you had the conversation
- What the topic was
- And explain why you were not interested
- Last week, we went to my Uncle’s house as it was my cousin’s engagement.
- There, some of my other cousins started a conversation about the recent Sushant Singh Rajput suicide case.
- For the past few weeks, the main news coverage has been all about Sushant Singh Rajput.
- And it was a controversial issue from the start.
- There are some people who believe it was suicide, while there are others who believe it was murder.
- However, I was actually tired of the hearing about the issue for the past two- three months.
- I was hoping that at the wedding, we would talk about something else.
- I was actually more interested in talking about the opening of schools, Indo-China border conflict and state of the economy and more than anything else our personal lives.
- I felt that discussing the topic of Sushant Singh Rajput was depressing in some ways.
- I know mental health is an issue which needs more discussion among people, and I felt that the engagement was a joyous occasion and it was not the right place for the discussion.
- During the conversation, each of my cousins, came up with weird theory what actually happened.
- It was like – they were there, they knew Sushant Singh Rajput personally.
- I actually wanted to say if we could discuss something else, as none of us could really know what actually happened and we should just wait for the investigative agencies to conclude their proceedings.
- But, the rest of my cousins were really interested in the discussion.
- So, I didn’t say anything.
- After about fifteen minutes, I just pretended that I received a phone call and went to another room.
- But that was no respite as there my uncles were discussing the same topic.
- For the rest of the time, I just played games on my phone call.
Part 3 – Follow up Questions
- What topics do young people in India talk about?
The youth in India talk about nearly everything from politics to sports to fashion to technological gadgets. Personally, I love to talk about mobile phones and computers with my friends.
- What is the difference between topics that are popular now and topics that were popular in the past?
I think earlier people didn’t care so much about technology, but it is a major part of the conversation now. I also love talking about that. In addition, I think rest of the topics like sports, fashion and politics were actively discussed in the past too.
- How do you know if others are not interested in the conversation?
I think I mostly see people’s facial reactions to see if they are interested. If they are laughing at my jokes or their facial reactions are changing as the tone of the conversation changes, they are interested. Otherwise they are not. Sometimes people are direct too. They try to cut me off and steer the conversation towards another topic.
- What’s the influence of modern technology such as internet, emails on our communication?
- I think they have increased the overall communication but at the same time they have also decreased face to face communication. Moreover, they have reduced the importance of language and grammar in communication. People care more about being concise rather than being grammatically correct.