You should say
- Who they are
- Where they live
- How you know them
- And explain why you like them.
- I know many families that live in our neighbourhood.
- But there is one family, that I really enjoy spending time with.
- They are our next-door neighbor’s, Sharmas.
- There are four members in the family, Mr. Sharma, his wife and their two children, Navneet and Priya.
- I think they shifted to Phagwara and our neighbourhood about five years ago.
- Before that they lived in Jalandhar.
- Mr. Sharma works in a bank and he was transferred to Phagwara branch five years ago.
- That’s how they came to live in Phagwara and our neighbourhood.
- I remember immediately after moving to our neighbourhood, they invited everyone for a dinner.
- Their son is the same age as me and he and I have become very close friends.
- There are many things I like about them, but the first is that they don’t do any formalities.
- I don’t get the feeling that I am at somebody else’s house when I am at their home.
- For example, they offer me things to eat when I go there, but they don’t force it.
- They just tell me not to hesitate if I want to eat something.
- It’s another matter that Mrs Sharma is a very good cook and I actually look forward to tasting all the delicacies she makes.
- I also like the relationship between Mr and Mrs Sharma and the children.
- They are strict but friendly and they encourage their children to share whatever problems they are facing.
- I have never seen Mr and Mrs Sharma raise their voice.
- I have noticed that my friend Navneet, shares nearly every detail of his life with his parents.
- If he does something bad, they don’t scold but tell him why it was wrong.
- I think very few people have this special dynamic relation with their parents.
- In all, I get very positive vibes from all the members of the family.
- I feel very comfortable at their home and that’s why I like them a lot.
Part 3 – Follow up Questions
- Who is usually the leader in an Indian family?
India is a patriarchal society, and, in most families, the eldest male member is the leader. If it’s a joint family, its generally the grandfather and in nuclear families it’s the father.
- How do grandparents take care of their children?
I think today grandparents fill the void left behind by working parents. Both the parents work today and as such are not able to devote enough time to the children. So, grandparents raise children just like parents. They also teach them about moral values. In some ways, they are also responsible for spoiling children as they give in to their demands much more easily than parents do.
- What’s the most important quality of a good parent?
I think the best quality in a good parent is flexibility. Flexible parents tend to be open- minded and easy-going. They resolve disagreements smoothly. Children are naturally defiant and thus inflexible parents increase defiance and rebelliousness in their children and this always escalates conflicts.
- How can new parents learn about parenting?
I think there are many ways to learn about good parenting. They can read books on parenting. they can join parenting classes, they can watch videos on you-tube about parenting and last but not least they can take guidance from their own parents.