Describe an old friend you got in contact with again
You should say
- Who he or she is
- What he or she is like
- How you got in contact
- And explain how you felt about it
- Due to fast-paced life of today, it is very easy to lose contact with friends.
- I have also lost contact with many of school time friends.
- It happened inadvertently.
- Some of my friends got busy with jobs, some shifted to another city and some just got busy with family life.
- However, during this Corona pandemic, life slowed down.
- I was home all the time and this also meant that I spent more time on social media especially Facebook.
- So, two or three months ago, I got a friend request from one of my school-time friends, Navneet.
- He had shifted to Canada when we were in 8th standard.
- For the first two three months, we tried to keep contact but eventually we all got busy with studies.
- So, it was a pleasant surprise to receive his friend request.
- Navneet was one of my best friends in school.
- I don’t use these words for anyone, but he was in real sense ‘a jack of all trades ’.
- He was good in academics and sports as well.
- When we were in school, he was the captain of the football team.
- In studies, he was always among the top four five students.
- Despite all this, he was very modest and still he is very modest.
- He never tried to show that he was superior to others.
- It was so fun talking to him.
- It felt like I had travelled back in time.
- We reminisced about our school days and both of us became a bit nostalgic.
- I think it was a bittersweet feeling getting in touch with him after so long.
- On the one hand, we both felt a bit guilty about losing touch.
On the other hand, we were also very happy to talk to each other after so long
Part 3 – Follow up Questions
- What is the influence of social media on friendships?
I think social media has definitely enabled us to maintain friendships better. We all know our friends are just a click away. At the same time it has all reduced face to face contact, and I think that has weakened the bonds of friendships.
- Why do people lose contact with each other after graduation?
I think the main reason is that we get busy with jobs. Moreover, sometimes people move to another city for a job. We don’t see our friends daily and we come in contact with new people. Building new friendships consumes time and thus inadvertently people lose touch with friends.
- Do people in your country like to make new friends?
Definitely, I think Indians in essence are very social. We love conversation, meeting new people. Every time, I travel, I come back with new contact in my phone.
- Do you think old friends are more important to the old generation or the young generation? I think old friends are important to both new and old generation. I think talking with childhood friends takes people back to childhood days in some sense and most people miss that time – a time free of tensions and worries.