- When you read it
- What type of book is it
- What is it about
- Why did you find it useful
- I have not read many books apart from my text books.
- Here, I would like to talk about a book, which my friend gifted me, and I read it all.
- I found this book very useful and motivating and would like to read it again.
- This book is ‘The Wings of Fire’ by Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
- My friend got this book as a prize when she participated in a declamation contest
- It is Dr. Kalam’s autobiography.
- It was first published in 1999.
- This book became popular only after Dr. Kalam became the President of India.
- He was sworn in as the president of India on 25th July 2002.
- Mr Arun Tiwari helped DrKalam in writing the book.
- In this book Dr. Kalam says why he wrote his autobiography.
- This book is very motivating.
- From this book I came to know all about the life and achievements of Dr A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
- Dr. Kalam was born in a very poor family in the southern parts of India at Rameshwaram.
- The reason why I admire him is that his life shows how & ordinary boy from a deprived class (poor family) could reach the highest level of the nation.
- He became not only the best rocket engineer but also the first citizen of the nation.
- It is true that he described his post as the President as a piece of luck, but his achievement as a rocket engineer was because of sheer hard work.
- He is a role model for one and all.
- The success of Dr. Kalam depended on the fact that he was willing to grow daily.
- He learned everything that come to him and was always looking for things to learn.m a k k a r I E L T S
- The real success of Dr. Kalam is in his application of the discipline, what he learned, in other fields also.
- That is why he could contribute to the making of the artificial limbs of lesser weight.
- In him we find a person with insatiable quest for knowledge & great love for suffering fellow beings.
- Unfortunately, we don’t have Dr. Kalam with us today, but he will live in the hearts of all Indians.
- I would like to read this book again, because it is a very motivating book.
Part 3 – Follow up Questions
- Do people in your country like to read books?
Yes, people of my country like to read books. There are bookshops in most towns and cities, which are all doing good business.
- What kinds of books are most popular in your country?
All types of books are very popular. India is a diverse country. People have diverse tastes in everything, including reading.
- Do you think reading is important?
Yes, reading is very important. It develops imagination and also develops language skills.
- Do you think electronic books will eventually replace paper books?
Not completely, but to a large extent yes. E-books have a lot of advantages
Benefits of e-books over traditional books Easy to carry while traveling
Need less storage space – Less costly
Immediate purchase –
You can do font adjustments.
- Some people like to collect books. Why do you think they do this?
They do so because they love books. They treat books as collectibles, and are proud of their collection.
- Is compulsory reading (in school) is a good idea?
Yes, definitely. In order for students to achieve in math, science, English, history, geography, and other subjects, reading skills must be developed to the point that most of them are automatic. Students cannot struggle with word recognition when they should be reading quickly for comprehension of a text. But the ability to read and write develops with careful planning and instruction. Children need regular and active interactions with print.
Reading is a Good Workout
Just like muscles, the brain benefits from a good workout. And reading is more demanding than watching TV or listening to the radio.
Reading Builds Vocabulary
While reading books, especially challenging ones, you will find yourself exposed to many new words you wouldn’t be otherwise.
Reading Helps Self Esteem
Another one of the key reading benefits is that the more you read, the more knowledgeable you become. With more knowledge comes more confidence. More confidence builds self- esteem. So it’s a chain reaction.
Reading Improves Creativity
Reading exposes you to new ideas and more information helps to develop the creative side of the brain.
- What books do children read and what do adults read?
Children read fantasy, fiction and books on supernatural characters like Barbie, Superman and Shaktiman. Adults read biographies, fiction and religious and spiritual books.
- Why men and women prefer different books? This is because they have different tastes.
- Why some books become internationally popular? This is perhaps because these receive a lot of publicity.
- What type of books children read nowadays? What type of books did children like reading in the past and what do you think they will read in the future?
Nowadays, generally speaking, the reading habit of the children is on the decline. Whatever books they read are based on fantasy, fiction and supernatural characters like Barbie, superman and Shaktiman.
50 years ago – Children read a lot. They read moral and spiritual books. They read animal stories. After 50 years – I do not think they will do any reading. All the time will be spent in front of computers.
- Do you think children have lost their interest in stories?
No, I don’t think that children have lost their interest in stories. However, the stories they read today are very different from those in the past.
- Can storybooks be an ideal gift for children?
Yes, definitely! Storybooks can be an ideal gift for children. They can help the child imagine the characters in the mind, which is the first step to creativity. Another important benefit is that we can impart the knowledge of culture, tradition, moral values and religion in the mind of the child. This forms the basis of the child’s personality. Finally, storybooks enhance the curiosity of the child and enhance their mental growth.