- Who he or she is
- What he or she does for a living
- What he or she is like
- And explain why you admire him or her
- In our culture, we tend to admire and respect people for their age.
- But today, I want to talk about someone whom I admire not because he is old, but because of his attitude towards life and his actions
- The person is my uncle.
- His name is Dilmohan Singh.
- He is my mother’s brother.
- He has held many jobs in his life.
- In fact, he started working part-time at the young age of fifteen.
- He used to work as a door to door salesman selling magazines at that age for pocket money.
- In his adult life, he worked as a bank manager.
- Currently, after retiring as a bank manager, he is working as a real estate agent.
- There are many reasons I admire him.
- The first is his selfless nature.
- Throughout his life, he has put other’s needs before his.
- He has many times postponed his business meetings just for family.
- We all say that family should be more important than money.
- But he is one of the few people, who actually prioritizes family over wealth.
- Another reason why I admire him is that he stands firm in his beliefs.
- If he believes in something, he will support it, no matter the cost.
- I can see this in how he behaves at home.
- He doesn’t mince his words. He calls a spade a spade.
- For example, if he thinks that people have done wrong, he will say it straight to their face when his opinion is asked.
- He will not try to be polite or lie, just to avoid awkwardness.
- Of course, he is not perfect.
- He has his flaws too.
- For one, he is not very punctual.
- In fact, he is always late.
- But, despite his flaws, I still admire him a lot.
Part 3 – Follow up Questions
- Who is important in your family: the father or the mother?
In my family both are equally important. There is a very harmonious relation between my mother and father. Both have different roles and both are equally important. My mother has more role in running the family where is my father has more role in earning for the family.
- How should parents look after their children?
Parents should look after the children very nicely. Parenting is a very crucial job and it is a full- time job, especially nowadays, in my opinion. Today, children have a lot of exposure of the global culture, and they enjoy a lot of freedom. So, parents have to be very alert about the whereabouts of their children and treat them in a friendly way, and yet be strict at times.
- How should working parents look after their children?
Working parents should look after the children very nicely. Whatever time they get, they should devote to their children. They should know where to draw the line between work and family, otherwise it is very easy for children to go astray and it is very easy for parents to lose hold on the children. Work is important but working parents should realise that their children’s childhood is equally important.
- Do children get sufficient love and affection from their parents these days?
Yes, children get sufficient love and affection from the parents, but this love and affection is substituted by money and not time. Parents think that giving enough money to the children is showing their love for them, they forget that what children need more is the time.
- What do you think about relationships between teenagers and their parents nowadays? The relationships between teenagers and parents is very strained these days. Teenagers want to follow the global culture whereas parents want them to follow the traditional culture. Teenagers want to take up subjects of their choice, such as animation, ethical hacking and so on, but parents want them to do the traditional courses like engineering, medicine and commerce.
- How do children learn to speak?
Children learn to speak from their parents. They observe their parents and speak as their parents teach them to, and slowly they get the hang of the language and learn to speak on their own.
- Do you think adults speak to children differently than between themselves?
Yes, adults speak to children differently than among themselves. Sometimes they don’t want to show their stress or emotions to their children and so speak differently with them, but when they speak with each other they have no such inhibitions. When adults speak to children they have to consider what to speak, how to speak and how much to speak.
- Do you think human communication is different from that of animals?
Yes, human communication is quite different from that of animals. Humans have a language to communicate with each other, whereas animals communicate in their own way which is difficult for humans to understand.
- What do you think are good communication skills?
Good communication skills involve being able to convey what you want to say to the other person without creating any misunderstanding. Good communication involves good command over the language and also good command on body language which involves gestures and expressions.
- Do you think everyone can learn these skills?
Yes, I believe everyone can learn the skills. Communication Skills is a full fledged subject these days in colleges. However, some people are born with good communication skills and they have a way to communicate their feelings to the other person in a very simple way which does not lead to any misunderstanding.
- How would you suggest these skills be taught to children?
These skills can be taught to children in many ways. Firstly, parents can be good role models. If parents have good communication skills, children will imbibe communication skills without even being taught formally. Then, this subject can be added in the school curriculum. Nowadays, even in graduate courses like engineering and commerce, communication skills are taught as a subject in the first semester.
- Do you think adults and children communicate the same way?
No, I don’t think adults and children communicate in the same way. Children are innocent and their communication is plain and simple, which doesn’t involve any twist of words. On the other hand, adults are really careful in what they want to communicate. They are wise enough to know the consequences of the words they use and so their communication is a bit complex.
- Can you think of any example of work (or, jobs) that require good communication skills?
I think every job needs good communication skills. For example doctors need good communication skills to convey things to their patients; engineers need good communication skills to work as a team to accomplish many projects; hawkers need communication skills to sell their products and so on. Sales personnel need good communication skills.
- What (personal) qualities do you think good communicator should have?
I think a good communicator should have an amicable personality. He should also be willing to listen, because I believe that a person who can listen to others can also communicate well.