- When it was
- Who asked you for help
- How you helped
- How you felt about it
- One of the things I really like about India is that despite modernization, we still haven’t adopted the individualism of the west.
- Nearly everyday family members and neighbors help each other.
- Today, I am going to talk about a situation when my sister asked me for help.
- It’s a little different because she is studying abroad, and thus it is not possible for me to help her often.
- The help was regarding a college assignment.
- In college, she had an assignment to talk about a famous person from their country.
- My sister has always been interested in Indian Independence and she wanted to talk about Bhagat Singh, a famous Indian freedom fighter.
- However, there was very less information on Bhagat Singh available on the internet especially on his personal life.
- So, she called me and asked me if I could procure her the information.
- At first, I was not sure, how I could help.
- But then I remembered, there is a Bhagat Singh Museum about 80kms from my house.
- Certainly, there would be some information available there.
- I went there and inquired. M a k k a r I E L T S
- The staff told me that there were in fact a lot of books and old newspapers on Bhagat’s Singh life available with them.
- But, unfortunately due to lack of resources and time, they had not been able to upload these on the internet.
- I asked for their permission to scan the pages on his personal life.
- They were reluctant at first because the books and newspaper were very old and improper handling might damage them.
- However, on my insistence, they allowed me to do so in their presence.
- It took me nearly five hours, but I finally found the relevant information.
- Then, I scanned it and sent it to my sister.
- The whole incidence was a big learning experience for me too.
- I learnt many things about Bhagat Singh, which I didn’t know before.
- When my sister met me, she told me, she was really surprised, how I found all that information.
- She told me that it was only because of me that she got an A+ in that assignment.
- Her heartfelt gratitude made me really happy.
Part 3 – Follow up Questions
- What can children help their parents with?
Children can help their parents with household chores. They can also help in looking after the elderly in the family. They can also help in buying vegetables and grocery. They can also help in attending to guests.
- What are the benefits of children helping their parents?
There are many benefits of children helping their parents. First, it develops a bond between parents and children. They feel part of a family. It also makes it easier for parents to run the house.
- Should parents reward their children when they help others?
Yes definitely. If parents reward their children when they help others then children will develop the habit of helping others and this is a very good habit for children to develop.
- Do parents help their children because they need their help when they are old?
No, parents never help their children for expecting help when they’re old. Parents love their children unconditionally and help them because they think it is their duty and responsibility and not because they expect anything back in return.