You should say
- Who or what made the noise?
- What was the noise like?
- What did you do when you heard the noise?
- And how you feel about it?
- I think there is lot of noise in India.
- It is in fact hard to find a quiet place.
- So, I am going to talk about an occasion when my nephew made a lot of noise.
- He is just 5 years old.
- But he is very fond of bursting crackers.
- During last Diwali, he went shopping for crackers with my dad and he bought him a lot of crackers.
- After visiting the Temple/ Gurudwara, when we came back home, he went to the terrace and for the next one hour, we could hear nothing but the sound of crackers.
- He burst so many crackers.
- The noise was deafening, and all the family members couldn’t wait for him to stop.
- I can’t imagine how my dad tolerated the noise as he was with him outside on the terrace.
- Rest of us were inside the house and for us the inside the house noise the intolerable.
- I tried to distract myself, but the noise was too much.
- I didn’t want to spoil my nephew’s mood by telling him to stop either.
- So, after waiting for half an hour for him to stop, I decided to put on my noise cancelling headphones and watch a movie
- My sister had gifted them to me a year ago.
- That was the day, I actually tested the noise cancelling part.
- It was amazing, I couldn’t hear anything except the sounds in the movie.
- My other family members were not so lucky, and they had to tolerate the noise.
- My dad also decided that day and there would be no crackers from next Diwali.
- Crackers not only create noise pollution, but they are also harmful for the environment.
Part 3 – Follow up Questions
- Where can people hear a lot of noise?
People can hear a lot of noise at public places like bus stations, railway stations, malls and so on. Moreover, in big cities, there is a lot of noise on the roads during traffic because of honking. In India, religious places also use loudspeakers and thus there is a lot of noise there.
- What may happen when someone listens to very loud music using headphones when they are running or hiking?
I think in the long term, it might cause permanent damage to ears. Moreover, it may also lead to accidents as people while running might not hear car horns due to loud music. So, I would not consider it to safe to put on loud music in public places.
- What can be done to reduce traffic noise?
I think government can make strict rules about honking and unnecessarily honking should be considered a traffic violation. Also, car engines start making noise after a few years, so people should be encouraged to replaced car engines after a few years.
- Do you think the world will be noisier in the future?
On the contrary, I think the world would be quieter because people are becoming less social than before. I think noise is mainly made in social situations. More and more people are becoming introverted and thus I think noise would also reduce for this reason. Also governments have also made strict rules about noise and thus noise would reduce in the future.