Talk about something you enjoyed doing in a group
- What it was
- With whom you did it
- When you did it
- How you felt about it
- I have done many group activities when I was in school such as playing games like cricket and volleyball.
- But here I am going to talk about a group activity, which was making a model for participating in an environment fair.
- This fair is held every year in December in my home town
- This model was on the topic of pollution
- We were a team of four students – Mohit, Rohan, Ravi and I.
- It was very difficult to collect ideas for the model, but our teacher, Mrs Promilla helped us.
- We collected all data from different sources like the internet, library, magazines and so on
- We presented all three types of pollution – air, water and noise pollution – on thermocol
- In this project we showed the causes, effects and ways to control pollution
- We had to speak turn wise on our model.
- I remember I was very afraid to speak.
- But my other friends gave me the confidence. I felt very good that I was part of that team.
- I spoke very well that time.
- Getting over my glossophobia was an accomplishment for me.
- We won the first prize in this competition.
- The judges specially mentioned that the first prize was mainly because of the verbal explanation of the model.
- This fair was covered by the local cable TV and so many people of the neighbourhood congratulated me the next day.
- Our photograph was also there in the local newspaper Jag Baani.
- Our school principal also appreciated us
- I cannot forget that day.
- All four of us were on cloud nine on that day. ( Another idea)
- Man is a social animal.
- Being part of a team, club or group is important for our lives.
- I too have been part of the cricket team of my school.
- I joined this team when I was in 9th class.
- My school was a co-ed school
- The boys and girls had separate cricket teams.
- Every day we used to play for two hours after the school timings.
- I joined this team because I love cricket.I have always been fascinated by the Indian cricket team
- I never miss any cricket match played by the Indian cricket team on TV
- We did a lot of activities there.
- I remember, my best friend, Rohan, was the captain.
- He used to make us work-out daily for 15 minutes.
- After that we would play a ten over match daily.
- We used to participate in the inter-school competitions also.
- Mostly, our school team won the trophy.
- Our team members co-operated with each other very well.
- Joining this team had a lot of importance for all of us.
- We learnt many things.
- We learnt discipline.
- Because we had to practice daily, and we also did not want our studies to suffer, we used to get up early and finish our home work.
- Then we learnt co-operation and patience.
- Not all of us got a chance to bat or ball every day, but we did not fight with each other because of that.
- We also learnt sportsman spirit.
- How to win with modesty and lose with grace is a very important thing to learn in this competitive era.
- Sometimes we lost from the girls’ team but we took it gracefully.
- Sometimes my mother used to crib when I was too involved in cricket but as I was doing well in studies she did not say anything to me.
- Playing cricket also kept me lean and fit.
- Now, I have made a cricket team of my neighbourhood children.
- We play on Sundays
- I am the captain of that team.
- I look forward to Sundays now.
Part 3 – Follow up Questions
- What kinds of quality does a leader need?
A leader needs to have good communication skills. He should be able to lead by example. If he wants his team to be punctual he should himself be punctual. He should know how to get work done.
- What are the reasons for the failure of teamwork?
Teamwork fails if there is no coordination between the team members. Teamwork also fails if the team leader is not very competent.
- Do children need to know more about teamwork?
Yes, children should know a lot about teamwork, because they have to work in teams at all stages of their life.
- Is cooperation more important than competition?
Competition and cooperation are equally important. Both competition and cooperation are needed in our day-to-day lives. We need to compete with others in exams, or when we start a new business. We need to cooperate with our colleagues at work, and with other players in team sports. Children should be taught both – competition and cooperation. They should also be taught where to compete and where to cooperate.
- Which one do you think is more important: individual development or team goals?
I think both are important in their own way. Individual development is important for the person to rise individually in life. Team goals are important because everything cannot be done alone and one has to learn to march ahead with others.
- Do you think it is a good thing to have disagreements within a team?
Yes definitely. It is good to have disagreements within the team because otherwise there is no fun working in a team. You have to learn to accept the good points of the other members and you also have to learn to put forth your views in a team.
- How to become a good member of the team in a workplace?
A good member of the team respects the efforts done by other team members and at the same time does his efforts honestly so that the whole team goes forward.