Click Here to view /hide Answers
2. NOT GIVEN
8. NOT GIVEN
You should spend about 20 minutes on Questions 1–13, which are based on the reading passage below.(The White Horse of Uffington IELTS Rading with Answers)
The cutting of huge figures or ‘geoglyphs’ into the earth of English hillsides has taken place for more than 3,000 years. There are 56 hill figures scattered around England, with the vast majority on the chalk downlands of the country’s southern counties. The figures include giants, horses, crosses and regimental badges. Although the majority of these geoglyphs date within the last 300 years or so, there are one or two that are much older.
0 of 9 Questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 9 Questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
Questions 1 – 8
Do the following statements agree with the information given in Reading Passage?
In boxes 1-5 on your answer sheet, write
TRUE if the statement agrees with the information
FALSE if the statement contradicts the information
NOT GIVEN if there is no information on this
1. Most geoglyphs in England are located in a particular area of the country.CorrectIncorrect
2. There are more geoglyphs in the shape of a horse than any other creature.CorrectIncorrect
3. A recent dating of the Uffington White Horse indicates that people were mistaken about its age.CorrectIncorrect
4. Historians have come to an agreement about the origins of the Long Man of Wilmington.CorrectIncorrect
5. Geoglyphs were created by people placing white chalk on the hillside.CorrectIncorrect
6. Many geoglyphs in England are no longer visible.CorrectIncorrect
7. The shape of some geoglyphs has been altered over time.CorrectIncorrect
8. The fame of the Uffington White Horse is due to its size.CorrectIncorrect
Questions 9 – 13
Complete the notes below.
Choose ONE WORD ONLY from the passage for each answer.
Write your answers in boxes 6-13 on your answer sheet.
The Uffington White Horse
The location of the Uffington White Horse:
● a distance of 2.5 km from Uffington village
● near an ancient road known as the 9
● close to an ancient cemetery that has a number of burial mounds
Dating the Uffington White Horse:
● first reference to White Horse Hill appears in 10 from the 1070s
● horses shown on coins from the period 100 BCE – 1 BCE are similar in appearance
● according to analysis of the surrounding 11 the Horse is Late Bronze Age / Early Iron Age
Possible reasons for creation of the Uffington White Horse:
● an emblem to indicate land ownership
● formed part of an ancient ritual
● was a representation of goddess Epona – associated with the protection of horses and 12
● was a representation of a Welsh goddess called 13